- IPNI Life Sciences Identifier (LSID)
- Preliminary Report of Explorations in Nebraska and Dakota, in the years 1855- '56- '57, by Lieut. G.K. Warren, topographical engineer ... Washington.
- Family as entered in IPNI
- Sandy bottoms of the Yellow-stone River, Fort Sarpy to Fort Union
- Distribution Of Types
- North Dakota (North-Central U.S.A., Northern America)
Hayden ascribed the name to Engelmann and ascribed the validating description to A. Gray; on p. 154, Engelmann is acknowledged for the determinations of the most of the plants in Hayden's 1859 catalogue, but A. Gray is not acknowledged.